Tag Archives: awareness
– There are an estimated 110 million active mines scattered in over 70 countries – in terms of people this translates as one for every 17 children or 52 humans in our world.
– A further 110 million have been stockpiled.
– 2,000 people are involved in landmine accidents every month – one victim every 20 minutes. Around 800 of these will die, the rest will be maimed.
– One deminer is killed and two are injured for every 5,000 mines cleared.
– About 100,000 mines are removed each year, but until recently 2 million more were being planted each year.
– At the current rate it would take 1,100 years to rid the world of mines. That’s assuming no new ones are laid.
– Angola, Vietnam, Afghanistan, Burma, Sudan, Eritrea, Cambodia, Iraq and …EU’s Finland among the countries with landmines
Ovi magazine has started a social media campaign with a series of “awareness” posters
An estimated 100 million people are homeless worldwide.
3 million people are homeless in Europe
2.5 million homeless in the United States
4,500 children are homeless in Buenos Aires
According to estimates by NGO Klimaka over 20,000 homeless in Greece of the austerity measures and eurozone economics